The Ultra Experience

Here's to the adventures of my life which are usually ultra marathon trail running or fly fishing but may include other trips, experiences, thoughts, opinions, or pretty much whatever I want. As co-founder of Altra Footwear my life and adventures seemingly revolve more around developing and promoting the best footwear in the world...and I love it!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Timp Trail Marathon 2013

Quick and late recap from the Timpanogos Trail Marathon.  I signed up late for this race but decided to not take a watch and treat it like a training run.  I was hoping to try and win it using as little energy as possible and hopefully come in under 4 hours.  That was the extent of my race planning....

It was another rainy year which I didn't mind.  I love running in the mud so I was excited.  I did want to go sub-4 hours and the mud would surely slow things down.  I ran the first 6-7 miles with friends Seth Hales and Dan Mitchell.  We chatted and watched 2 young guys take out the race fast.  It was good catching up with those guys.

I quickened the pace on the way down into Battlecreek and was 1 minute back from the leader at Grove Canyon aid station mile 12.  I was feeling good and wanted to take the big climb up the green monster and Grove Canyon easy.  I figured I could catch the leader the last 10 miles...but he pushed hard.  I got to the top with my legs feeling a little heavy.  I trained through Miwok and it was apparent I didn't taper for this race either.  Seth Hales caught me and we ran quickly over the top and over Curly Springs.  I was surprised that the leader wasn't coming back to us as we were moving well.  I surged down into Dry Canyon though the mud but still no glimpse of the leader.

Having decided to do Squaw Peak 50 miler 2 weeks after this, I coasted the last 3-4 miles down the mountain to finish 3rd overall in a time of 4:06:03.  I was 5 1/2 minutes back from the winner.  Fast roady who didn't bonk...good for him!  Young buck Ford Smith passed me with a mile to go.  He was working so hard I let him finish strong while I coasted.  Again, good for him!  17 years old and FAST. 

Overall I finished feeling quite fresh and had a great time!  I run those trails nearly every day but still loved it.  Great race, atmosphere, terrain, people, and rain like usual!  Would have liked to have broken 4 hours which without the mud was a sure thing.  A win would have been nice but 3rd place in a solid effort and feeling great afterwards was worth it. 

Now for Squaw Peak 50...again

3 comments:

Seth said...

Great running with you Brian! Damn roadies. Now go hammer SP50!

Brian Beckstead said...

Thanks Seth!

stenote said...

Good blog... keep-up the good work....May I share an article about Castello Sforzesco in Milan in http://stenote.blogspot.com/2018/02/milan-at-castello-sforzesco.html.Watch the Castello Sforzesco in Milan in youtube https://youtu.be/78pAFuUkfig