The Ultra Experience

Here's to the adventures of my life which are usually ultra marathon trail running or fly fishing but may include other trips, experiences, thoughts, opinions, or pretty much whatever I want. As co-founder of Altra Footwear my life and adventures seemingly revolve more around developing and promoting the best footwear in the world...and I love it!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ben Lomond Peak

After a very stressful week at the Outdoor Retailer (more on the highlights later), I decided it was time for a nice long run. I had yet to summit the looming Ben Lomond Peak, located above North Ogden, and I decided today would be the day. My running has been casual this past month. Consistent 25-30 mile weeks but I hadn't done any long runs. This would be a bit of a test.
Minutes out of the trailhead I saw a sign that distressed me. As of July 15th motorbikes would be allowed on the trail. Moments later the deafening roar of motorized bikes and the ensuing dust cloud surrounded me. I know I've offended people on my blog, which I have never intended, but understand this perspective and do not take it personally. It is a horrible shame that a pristine wilderness setting such as the trail to Ben Lomond is marred by loud trail damaging vehicles. Maybe it was my experience at Wasatch 100 when at mile 92 as I was descending into Pot Bottom I almost got ran over by a couple of motorcyclists who could care less that I had been running for 26 hours. Anyway I was appalled that motorbikes are allowed on such pristine high use trail trail.

Aside from almost being run over a couple times by motorbikes I had an amazing time on the beautiful single track trail. Views of Ogden, Eden, Logan, and the Great Salt Lake complemented the array of wildflowers and distant peaks. I felt great the whole way up and even better on the way down. Means I need to get my butt out of bed in the mornings and do some more long runs. My new goal is to run this peak once a week! The ascent took me 1 hr 48 minutes and the descent took me 1 hr and 7 minutes for a perfect 3 hour 16 mile run. Something special occurs on such a trail run which you can't fully explain. If you've had it, you understand. If you haven't, no words can describe.

5 comments:

Joel Hatch said...

I totally agree with you Brian, BL should be motor free.

FYI - we had our baby a week ago.

Stats:
7lbs 9oz
21 inches
born 7/19/09 at 9:13 p.m.

See ya on the trail soon...

Joel

Missy said...

What??? They let motorbikes on that trail? That is a joke! That trail is too pretty to be destroyed by motorbikes! Isnt that what the sand dunes are for?

You should start a petition! I will sign it!

Manners said...

Well said. I too have had many excounters with motor bikes. It is a shame. Great run though. You should add on Willard Peak. Gives you a few more miles and even more scenery.

Brian Beckstead said...

Congrats on the baby Joel! Does this mean you'll finally start running again?

I should start a petition! It's totally pathetic. Glad to see Missy is healthily pregnant.

Manners- Let me know when you guys are getting together so I can tag along.

Thayne said...

I feel your frustration at the noise, dust, and pollution. Aren't there plenty of trails to destroy up American Fork Canyon? Why open new ones? I chased two motor bikes off an unmarked wilderness trail (deer trail) nrst Timp last week - they had chainsaws and were "clearing" the trail so they could "get through". classic mentality...

T