The Ultra Experience

Here's to the adventures of my life which are usually ultra marathon trail running or fly fishing but may include other trips, experiences, thoughts, opinions, or pretty much whatever I want. As co-founder of Altra Footwear my life and adventures seemingly revolve more around developing and promoting the best footwear in the world...and I love it!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Israel



Pictures say a thousand words! I won't say much about the Middle East but it seemed to me such a turbulent place with an amazing history both old and new. The center of three of the worlds most historic religions, it brought so many thoughts ranging from spirituality to politics. Does it get more polarized than that?


Mt Arbell Gethsemane

Our trip started in Ammon Jordan although we spent the majority of our time in Northern Israel and Jerusalem. We visited places such as the Dead Sea, Jordan River, Tel Dan, Golan Heights, Nazereth, Caesarea Philippi, Capernaum, Megiddo and the Jezerel Valley, Bethlehem, Yad Vesham (Holocaust Memorial), Masada, Qumran, Western Wall, Gethsemane, Joppa, Tel Aviv, and plenty more. Our tour guide was my father-in-law, Richard Holzapfel, who knows more about Israel then anybody I've ever met. We got to spend a lot of time with the in-laws which actually was great.


Mine Fields Western Wall

All-in-all we had a wonderful trip and I am still trying to digest all the information I learned. I will never forget my experiences there and I came home with the urgent feeling of wanting more peace in my life and in the world around me. So don't mess with me or else....!


Masada Hezekiah's Tunnel

Most places I visit I feel content about my experience and have little desire to return but I can see myself revisiting Israel over and over. Too many important events have occurred there over the centuries and it calls you back. I can't wait to go back.


Jerusalem Dome of the Rock

No comments: