The Ultra Experience

Here's to the adventures of my life which are usually ultra marathon trail running or fly fishing but may include other trips, experiences, thoughts, opinions, or pretty much whatever I want. As co-founder of Altra Footwear my life and adventures seemingly revolve more around developing and promoting the best footwear in the world...and I love it!

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Squaw Peak 50 Competitors

The 2009 Squaw Peak 50 looks like another great one! The competition should be fierce and course conditions fast. Unfortunately with Karl Meltzer and Allen Belshaw withdrawing from the race the front pack will be small but the chase pack looks larger than ever. Here are my picks for the mens race:

1st Scott Jamie- Hasn't run the race over the last few years but in the meantime he has been cranking out wickedly fast times over notoriously tough courses. Will be the frontrunner from start to finish, near or under 8 hrs!
2nd Eric Storheim- Always strong, he should run well like usual. Maybe this year we won't let the leader out of his sights.
3rd Kevin Shilling- Extremely talented and two time winner. If he wants it he will contend for the victory.
4th Christian Johnson- Has improved every year and this year looks to be his year.
5th Ryan Cooper- Long time competitive runner from Colorado. I believe it's his first time at Squaw Peak so we will see how he does.
The mens chase pack should be huge with lots of past competitive athletes showing up. It should consist of:

Leland Barker
Todd Schmidtke
David Larsen
Daniel Schmidt
Roger Smith
Shane Martin
Rich McDonald
Dave Hunt
Scott Kunz
Matt Conners
Jeff Lamora
Peter Lingren
Shaun Christian
Phil Lowry

Several other 1st time Squaw Peakers to look out for are Ron Greenwood and Clyde Behunin. Both of whom are excellent marathoners jumping into the ultra scene. The top 20 runners should all be under or close to 10 hrs. It looks like the deepest field since 2004.

As for me, I'm predicting a 9th place finish in 9 hrs and 19 minutes. This looks like an average year for me. I'm in good shape and if things go well I might be able to shave a few minutes off but I'm not in the shape I was the previous two years. I'm in very similiar shape as 3 years ago when I ran 9:19 for a 10th place finish. My planned splits are almost identical to my 2006 time.

As for the Womens race, it looks very competitive as well. My predictions are as follows:
1st Sarah Evans- After her Wasatch 100 victory combined with her youthful speed she should be the one to crush the competition although her inexperience could lead to a blow up.
2nd Birgitta Johnson- Knows the course and knows her limits. She will do well as always.
3rd Milada Copeland- Military precision. Could have a huge day and contend for win.
4th Deanna McLaughlin- Knows how to pace a tough course.
5th Eve Davies- After her solid performance at Zane Grey, she should come into this race strong.
6th Marci Lameroux- Local favorite has improved every year and should tear up the course.
7th Marcee Christain- Does well every year and this year should be no different.

Looks like it will be an awesome race! I know I'm excited. The red athletes all belong to the Runner's Corner/Hammer Mountain Team. Good luck to fellow team members and all runners next weekend!

15 comments:

Manners said...

Good Luck this weekend Brian. I think I would move you up from the ninth spot, but that's just me.

Erik said...

I'm flattered with the 2nd place prediction, but that's definitely between Shilling and Jaime. Kevin is one of only 3 runners to break 8 hours, it will just depend on how quick he recovers from the Pocatello 50. And if Christian is on, I'll be struggling to keep him in sight, and who knows who else. Brian-you're sub-9. The course should be in good shape and you know it well. Should be a fun day!!

Anonymous said...

You left off Dave Holt....bet he smokes some people in the 2nd half.

Jon Allen said...

I was going to add Dave Holt, but someone beat me to it. 150 mile training weeks, 50 mile training runs, 2:25 road marathoner...

Wish I was running it. Should be a fun race.

dave holt said...

Whoever mentioned me (anonymous, and you too Jon) you are no longer my friends! I am just there for the experience! Let's have some fun!

clyde said...

Go Dave! You guys don't know what your up against. The guy has turned into a ANIMAL!

Brian Beckstead said...

Aric- I'll stick with my time of 9:19. As far as placing...you never know.

Eric- The reason I put you in 2nd is because of your consistency. If anyone will beat Jaime it will be Shilling but like you mentioned he ran hard at Pocatello 50.
Sub-9? Now I'm the one that is flattered, but this year hasn't been my year so we will see. Soon no doubt! See you at the start.

Dave Holt- It looks like your secret is out! I proclaim you the dark horse of Squaw 09. I look forward to meeting you Dave.

Three sub 2:30 marathoners entered into Squaw for their first ultra! Someone will bonk hardcore and someone will surprise a lot of people. Time will tell. Man I'm so excited and I'm not even in the shape I had hoped for. Lets have some masochistic fun!

Jon Allen said...

Brian- who are the 3 sub-2:30 marathoners? Dave Holt is one. Who are the others? By the way, Clyde Behunin isn't running it.

By the way, are you doing Logan Peak again?

Brian Beckstead said...

Jon- Ron Greenwood, Clyde Behunin, and Dave Holt. Ron hasn't done it for a while and it sounds like Clyde isn't racing...too bad.

I got invited to run the Bighorn 50so I am planning on heading up there and having fun. If it falls through I will run Logan Peak. Great race though.

Davy said...

You've left off Todd Holmes from your list. Todd will finish in under 9 hours. He finished 4th in '04, just ahead of Lealand. That year he also finished 2nd in the Grand Slam behind Jurek. He's a good friend and still has the speed.

Anonymous said...

Hey who is Darci Gorman?

K.Booth said...

where can I get the results from the race??

Anonymous said...

Do they usually post the results before the next year's race? Squaw Peak 50 site doesn't have them. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Brian Beckstead said...

I know very little about Darci Gorman but when she passed me 5 miles to go she looked strong!

John sent out a zip file to all finishers which we are supposed to dispute if there are incorrections. Once that is sorted out he should post them. Usually it doesn't take this long.

If you want the unofficial results emailed to you I would be more than willing to send them to whomever!

Lloyd said...

I'd love to have the results. I've been haunting the site looking for them to be posted.